Can't reuse name of deleted notebook?

If I publish a notebook, delete it, then attempt to publish another notebook with the same name I get:

That name has already been taken

Is that intentional? If so, it might be a good idea to note that in the publish dialog and / or help page.

1 Like

Right now, ā€œdeleteā€ would more accurately be described as ā€œarchiveā€ (and Iā€™m going to change the wording to reflect that). ā€œDeletingā€ a notebook removes it from search, from your notebook listing, and makes it read-only. However, if you have a direct link, the notebook is still available.

We wanted to create a system where code could be shared and people could rely on the immutability of that code. For example: because you can require one notebook from another (or even from outside RunKit entirely), we donā€™t want code youā€™re requiring to disappear.

This has mostly worked OK, with some confusion from time to time. In the few instances where someone has accidentally put things into RunKit that shouldnā€™t have been public, theyā€™ve been able to email us and weā€™re usually able to delete that fully in a pretty short time frame. The system we have now definitely isnā€™t perfect, so weā€™re always interested in hearing what people think about it.

Hi, thanks for the info.

For example: because you can require one notebook from another

Ah, I wasnā€™t even aware of that yet.

Right now, ā€œdeleteā€ would more accurately be described as ā€œarchiveā€ (and Iā€™m going to change the wording to reflect that). [ā€¦] However, if you have a direct link, the notebook is still available.

I think changing that wording is a great idea. I didnā€™t realize that the notebook would still be available to others after ā€œdeletingā€ it and especially with it not even being visible to me anymore. I think itā€™d be helpful to have an archive section on the your notebooks page as well.

I get why youā€™ve designed the system for immutability, so I still think itā€™d be a good idea to make it more obvious (e.g. on the Publish form) that the name will be ā€œgoneā€ forever once the notebook is published. Now that I know that Iā€™ll be more careful about choosing names, and archiving (unless itā€™s going to become possible to unarchive).

Thanks!

Thereā€™s no UI for it of course, but if thereā€™s something youā€™d like ā€œunarchivedā€ you should shoot us a support email and we can take care of you.

Great, thanks! I donā€™t have a specific problem with it right now, so Iā€™ll just keep that in mind.

Is there is way to ā€˜deleteā€™ (instead of archiving) empty notebooks ?

I got some of them, and didnā€™t find a way to remove them (I could ā€˜re-useā€™ them and find proper names/usages), but
it seems a waste of resources ?

2 Likes

Hello boucher, I have 2 notebooks that I would like unarchived because I archive them for error. I did not know that archive meant read only.
What is the email support that you mention in the conversation?
Thanks.