Source code or stand-alone version

Is there any point on road-map for providing the source or at least an off-the-cloud version of RunKit?

2 Likes

Hi egeozcan, I actually recently replied to this here on Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12492640

The question actually remains and we are very open to suggestions: what exactly would you want from this project in a non-cloud version (given that many of the core features only seem to really make sense on the cloud).

Separately from this, we do plan on releasing many auxiliary components as open source soon (although I suspect not completely satisfying this request), and for example, Ross has worked on the time traveling stuff in a completely open source way on the Docker branch (which now supports the sort of time traveling we do completely natively).

Hi Francisco. Thank you for your answer. I understand that it’s hard, if
not impossible, to provide the same experience locally. Especially instant
access to the entire npm is understandably resource-heavy.

There are, however, two things which make a local version very important:

First and most importantly, sensitive code which can’t be uploaded to
servers not in a company’s control. That’s for example the case for some of
my projects. A closed source, paid version is also very fine for this use
case. I already pay for tools like linqpad to quickly test .NET code. This
would presumably allow me to use a private npm repo as well.

Second thing is, I have to have some kind of assurance before I invest in a
tool. I sincerely hope that your great work keeps getting updated and used
at least for as long as node itself lives. However, companies change
direction all the time and at least a pledge to open source if it comes to
that would go a long way to satisfy many people who’d invest in your tool.

I’m willing to wait a few seconds for npm to download a module anytime I
require something new, if it means that I can keep using this great tool
for the foreseeable future.

17 Eyl 2016 03:05 tarihinde “Francisco” tonicdev@discoursemail.com yazdı:

1 Like

All of the great things value props would work wonderfully in a private hosted scenario. I.E internal wiki’s that demonstrate private libraries for my engineering org, access to private npm packages, sandboxes for people to play around in our live machines environment would be wonderful!

I would love a playground with access to all of our private / internal npm libraries I use in my company. As an aside my engineering team uses graphql and graphql has a query visualizer thats hosted, so any engineer w/ credentials can practice queries against their hosted machine. It’s very very practical. Now image that style of practicality but being able to write javascript. That sandbox would be incredibly powerful.

I see the issue you raised about caching 2.5tb of npm packages to get that magic feel. Well if this was just a cache of our internal node app’s dependencies it would be much smaller and I could afford to loose some magic of instant packages. i.e. if we hosted this it could read our package.json file and walk the dependencies and cache everything. that’ll cover 99% of repos for an internal sandbox I would imagine. for everything else I wouldn’t mind sacrificing a degraded experience as I wait for the package to fetch / cache.

I would love to see a private hosted version of this and I wouldn’t mind paying for it either!

1 Like

Internal sandbox and demo!

Just send me the Bill!

1 Like

On-premise instance, private notebooks, those are features my company would pay for.

So, after 2 years, an on-premise version seems unlikely?